Whole Wheat Bread (bread machine recipe)
1 3/4c. warm water 1 1/2T. butter
5 tsp. yeast 3c. whole wheat flour
1/2c. gluten 3T. sugar
2 tsp. salt
Dissolve yeast in warm water and add butter. Mix the rest of the ingredients put in bread machine and start. Need to push down on dry ingredients with spatula so it can get mixed.
Hearty Farm Eggs Over Summer Vegetables and Chorizo Sausage
1 lb beef or pork chorizo sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 large bell or 2 pimento peppers, chopped
4 medium tomatoes
6 free range eggs
1/2 cup grated cheese or feta crumbles
1 small bunch chives or your favorite herbs, finely chopped
Saute onion and pepper in a deep 10 inch skillet. (Your choice of fat. If using pork sausage you can cook first then remove sausage and cook onions and peppers in the remaining fat.) Add sausage and cook until just done. Cube tomatoes (peel them if you’d like) and add. Cook until simmering, then carefully crack the eggs evenly over the top. Pop the yolks (optional) but don’t stir the eggs in. Sprinkle on cheese and herbs. Cover with lid and cook gently over low heat until the eggs are at your liking.
Plum Butter, August 2016
- 3 1/2 pounds plums
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In late summer, stone fruits like plums are at their peak. Preserve the tastes of summer with this easy plum butter recipe. For a true southern breakfast, serve a big dollop of plum butter on a hot buttermilk biscuit.
Split plums in half, remove pits, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Do not peel. Place in a 6-quart nonreactive saucepan, and add 1 cup water and the sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until fruit is very soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; puree fruit and liquid in a food mill or food processor.
Rinse saucepan and return puree to pan along with cardamom and cinnamon. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, until thick enough to spread, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in an airtight container, or follow canning instructions for canning fruit butters in half-pint jars.
Wilted Lettuce Salad
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 head leaf lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Remove from skillet, crumble and set aside.
- To the hot bacon drippings, add the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and pepper. Stir over medium heat until hot.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce and green onions. Add the warm dressing and toss to evenly coat. Sprinkle with bacon and serve.